Although we naturally shop from left to right – the same way we read books and articles- when arranging merchandise, starting at the top left and filling in shelves towards the right, most times is not the proper technique.
On the contrary, displaying products from top to bottom vertically in columns, can bring some real benefits in any serious effort to use organised and visually appealing merchandising.
So speaking, vertical merchandising is the technique or process whereby grouping together merchandise in rows from top to bottom is preferable than placing products horizontally in rows from left to right.
When managed properly, vertical merchandising:
- creates the most visual impact, simply by shaping focal points to attract customers attention. In addition, when used in combination with the block merchandising technique, it can result in great visual effects.
- not only improves the appearance and organisation of a store but also, it
- leads shoppers’ attention to shelves which are below eye level.
- makes it easier for customers to shop.
When proper merchandise is grouped together vertically and in the right place, customers can simply use their eyes to follow the display from top to bottom, as there is not a need to walk from side to side between the SKUs, in order to find what they are looking for. Such an arrangement, namely horizontal merchandising, when in great expansion, can irritate customers, even make them easily leave the whole process of purchasing.
- ensures that top sellers can be equally placed right at eye level
Especially that means that customers can spot the bigger brands quickly and easily at eye level, and on the other hand, they can find a bargain lower on the shelves.
Vertical merchandising can always be a good offensive strategy that works well. Just don’t forget to always be attuned to what products you offer and what you want to achieve in every single case. Make assortments that make sense, place your premium and popular brands along the eye line, and lead your customers eye from focal points down to products for bargain hunters.